Custom Search

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Same ol Zelda Just Prettier

Quickie: Buy



When I purchased my Nintendo 64 at the age of twelve, I had no idea I would enter into a love affair with the Legend of Zelda series. But after twelve years of battling evil in the land of Hyrule I can only scream, LOVE YAH LINK!

Gamers have been longing for a Legend of Zelda title as impressive as the Ocarina of Time. To be honest Windwaker was fun and had a wonderful plot, but it was not what people expected to find on the Gamecube.

Finally advertisements for Twilight Princess appeared and I believed the second Ocarina of Time had come.

After waiting six long months I brought the Gamecube version of the game home and played until my eyes were red from exhaustion.

Honestly I can’t say I love the game. I played it through once and never returned for a rerun.

This is because I believe the game was too short and almost too easy. Perhaps it was to adapt to the Wii system controls or because I knew what to expect from a Legend of Zelda game, but it still held to the lasting themes in the series.

When we did eventually obtain a Wii my father did buy a copy of Twilight Princess.

My father would sometimes play Twilight Princess until midnight. Frustrated and tired he would often ask me or one of his grandchildren for help.

But it seems that he just becomes upset when we explain how to conquer an enemy or solve a puzzle, so usually I leave him to figure it out.

One day he said, “I lost my sword, and now I’m a wolf. Is that supposed to happen?”

My sister and I giggled, “YES! There is a wolf on the cover dad, come on!”

I love how they designed the wolf. They bring it to life by using very small details like when the wolf finds an item, he sniffs at it. I also like how the attack system of the

The landscapes between shadow and light realms are dramatic and add intensity to the game play. One instance of this is when you are on Hyrule castle as a wolf and you fight these one-red-eyed-black-birds that trumpet eerie sounds when they attack.

I’ve fallen down so many times from the castle heights, the noise still haunts me from beyond the game to the point where I feel like I’ve entered Hyrule’s version of The Birds.

All the traditional themes from past games were present in Twilight Princess: the puzzles, the elementally inspired dungeons, many lovely ladies Link can’t have and new twists. Personally I love the transformation from and the new history reveled with the introduction of Midna from the Twilight Realm. It’s a unique twist, especially because my first thought was Hyrule was being attacked by aliens. I had no idea the creators would open and close a new world so quickly however.

When Midna becomes her true self and breaks the portal to the Twilight Realm, I cried. Yet again Link looses one of his loves. Is this a tragic effect of fate and reincarnation? Is Link stuck in a soap opera where he never can find happiness in any woman he meets? They either become Sages, or are too old, too young or are truly his sister.

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing a game where Link breaks against fate and could even choose to become a villain. I understand it sounds a little too like Fable, but if there was an added future motif, it would give the game series new legs to run on.

Honestly the collecting items-dungeon slumming-saving the princess RPGs are outdated and need a revamp. Fable was just the beginning and I’m sure other RPG genres are fighting to keep up. This was the game we were waiting for since Windwaker. Windwaker is a cute game, and I developed a love for it, but I wanted the realistic showdown released as a demo video for the Gamecube.

Every game I’ve played in the Zelda line has been great. I have no qualms and hope to see the hits keep on coming and expanding to new horizons on the Wii system. But I will be extremely disappointed if Nintendo fails to come out with another Zelda game for the Wii, because honestly Twilight Princess was for both the Gamecube and Wii. They need to make a unique game just for the Wii, show off a little and add a little more modern element in order for this series to honestly survive to their next console.

No comments:

Post a Comment