Custom Search

Friday, April 23, 2010

Earth Eternal: Power to the Credit

What first caught my eye about Earth Eternal was the point it made to having no human characters. No offense to MMORPGs and many other games, but humans are boring to play because they are average to play.

You do not have to download the game to your computer, you can, making the download time faster, but it really doesn’t matter. There are over 20 races to choose from and three body types. It’s very simple and sometimes it’s hard to see the difference between the male and female, but it has a certain charm.

There are only 4 classes to choose from: knight, rogue, druid, mage, and it doesn’t matter what race you choose, there is no benefit to having a fox as a rogue versus a bear, so it’s limited. It would be nice for them to add some advantages to the classes depending on which animal you choose, but I think they were attempting to make it simple and fun for kids.

The graphics took me back to the 90s because it reminded me of “Beast Wars”, innovative for its time, but very primitive when you compare it to WoW or Team Fortress 2. It wasn’t horrible, just a little rough and cartoony.

Controlling your character was pretty much the same as for any MMORPG, but I did not like having to click for my auto attack. It’s supposed to be auto right, so why do I have to click on it? This annoyed me and it’s really my only complaint as for character movement.

However, the major disappointment was when I spoke to a player, Slypaw Rogue, and he told me the new download made the game more focused towards buying credits. . He was a level 47 knight and felt cheated as a long-term player to how they handled credit buying, “It would take years” he wrote, “to get the good armor and weapons” for any free player.

(Another Overhyped Video)^^

It was sad to see how companies forget about the players who were there from the beginning and decided to shaft them of they fun by making money the main point within the game. There is nothing wrong with making money, but doing it tactfully and ensuring even free players can still reasonably achieve the best items is key to keeping players happy and playing.

Sadly, the small uniqueness of no human characters did not keep my interest for long especially when a company is willing to sacrifice player enjoyment for sheer cash intake. Many players are already leaving for better MMORPG pastures and I wish them luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment